By Lyndsey Wells
Everyone in our galaxy has probably heard by now that Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is OPEN at Disneyland! Disney World’s land will open later this summer in Florida, too, so fans on both coasts will soon be exploring this new land.
There’s so much to experience in Batuu, the mystical city of Galaxy’s Edge, but we think the shops are one of the most exciting parts. Right now you might find long waits to ride Millenium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run or to grab a drink at Oga’s Cantina, but everyone is welcome to visit the shops of Black Spire Outpost (unless you want to build a lightsaber – more info on that below!).
The shops of Galaxy’s Edge are part of the immersion into this Star Wars-themed land. Most are part of a mini shopping village called Black Spire Outpost, “an infamous stop for traders, adventurers, and smugglers traveling around the Outer Rim and Wild Space,” according to Disney Parks lore.
Two specialty shops in Galaxy’s Edge are more of an experience than a shopping trip, and are must-dos for Star Wars fans! At Savi’s Workshop and the Droid Depot, you can build your own Star Wars creations in a hands-on training led by Batuu residents (aka Cast Members) – here’s more info on both:
· Savi’s Workshop – Follow instructions from a specialized Gatherer guide as you customize your own legendary lightsaber. You choose the color of crystal – red like the infamous Sith; blue, purple or green like Jedi legends. (Each one costs $199.99 + tax; this experience is limited to the builder and one guest – at least one person must be 14 years or older.) This experience has had a wait at Disneyland, so currently you can reserve your spot starting at 7:00 am on the day of your visit via the Savi’s Workshop web page (click “Reserve This Activity”).
· Droid Depot – Build & activate your own droid in this shop! Pick from an R2-D2 lookalike or a BB-8 lookalike – you choose all the pieces, assemble, and then activate it. Droids come with a remote control so you can “drive” them around at home – they also interact with things in Galaxy’s Edge, so carry them around with you in the park! (Each droid costs $99.99 + tax; this experience is limited to the builder and one guest – at least one person must be 14 years or older.) FYI, this is also where you can purchase a life-size, three-and-a-half-foot tall custom R2-D2 unit – for $25,000!
And, here are some of the other shops you’ll find in Galaxy’s Edge:
· Dok-Ondar’s Den of Antiquities – Fun souvenirs from around the galaxy, like Kyber Crystals and Holocrons, busts of famous Jedi and Sith, patches, Padawan hair braids, and lots more.
· Black Spire Outfitters – Clothing and accessories so Star Wars fans of any age can dress in awesome Star Wars-inspired attire (although no actual costumes are allowed for anyone over the age of 14!).
· First Order Cargo – Gear and products from the First Order, aka the Dark Side…but if you’re a rebel, there’s always the remotely-located Resistance Supply, a “secret” shop (located near the west entrance to the land) for members of the Resistance with more awesome souvenirs.
· Toydarian Toymaker – This is a great spot to find toys and playful souvenirs – with tons of cute stuffed toys - figures, it’s a great spot for kids.
· The Creature Stall – Find exotic fuzzballs from across the galaxy, for purchase or just to watch for fun. They’ve got animatronic creatures in little cages that are fun to watch!
Which of these shops are you most excited to check out? Have you decided which color lightsaber you’d build? Let us know in the comments!